- Specie:Crassostrea virginica
- Origin:Point Judith Pond, RI(USA)
- Farmed: 18 to 24 months
- Average Size:3.25 inches
- Available:May through December
- Tides:Point Judith Pond; salt pond with six foot tides and little freshwater input.
- Bottom:Clay, hard-packed sand, and seaweed.
Both John and Cindy studied Aquaculture at the University of Rhode Island, learning about the raising and farming of fish and shellfish. Together, they operate the Cedar Island Oyster Farm where they grow Cedar Island and Moonstone oysters. They take pride in the fact that they are part of the aquaculture movement, which in recent years has gained in popularity. Raising oysters brings them much gratification. The Wests see their oysters as a vibrant part of the local ecosystem, and as natural filter feeders, essential to preserving the system.