To All Oysters
Martha's Vineyard Oyster
Martha's Vineyard, MA
- Specie:Crassostrea virginica
- Origin:Martha's Vineyard, MA(USA)
- Wild: 3 years
- Average Size:3.5+ inches
- Available:October through February
Extremely plump and full of liquor. Mild and smooth.
Wild oyster grows in various salt ponds on the Vineyard. Fishermen drag for the oysters in small skiffs.
- Tides:Tisbury Great Pond; the pond closes off from the open ocean seasonally and naturally, adding freshwater through rainfall. They are occasionally dug out to add a saltwater influence.
- Bottom:Sandy with some eelgrass vegetation.