Sea Kist Oyster
- Specie:Crassostrea virginica
- Origin:Jamestown, RI(USA)
- Farmed 18 to 30 months
- Average Size:2.75-3.25 inches
- Tides:Narragansett Bay; Significant tidal exchange
- Bottom:Sand and gravel, near-shore 5 – 8 foot depth
The Ocean State Shellfish Cooperative was formed in 2008 to create a robust network of Rhode Island oyster farmers working together to supply oysters to the growing appetite for fresh seafood. Since then we have grown from 6 participating farms to 15.
The sustainable aquaculture movement in Rhode Island began in the late 1980’s with the birth of today’s modern oyster farms. By introducing a thriving oyster population, local areas once thought to be “dead” have been rejuvenated into productive ecosystems where other fish and shellfish can once again thrive.