Pleasant Bay Oyster
- Specie:Crassostrea virginica
- Origin:Orleans, MA(USA)
- Farmed: 2 to 3 years
- Average Size:2.75 inches, 3.5 inches
- Available:May through February
- Tides:Little Pleasant Bay; 3 to 4-foot tides quickly turned over in and out of the bay.
- Bottom:Clean, sandy bottom.
Peter Orcutt and his family have been growing oysters since 1987. It took Peter four years and a move from Chatham to Orleans to get his oyster farm started. He first started growing quahogs and eventually moved to oysters. Unfortunately, aquaculture was still fairly new, and Peter recalls that it took years of "research and development" (trial and error) to get the methods right.
Today, the Orcutt family have the oldest standing oyster farm in Little Pleasant Bay, so if you're looking for the best Pleasant Bay Oyster, look no further.