Bristol Bay Oyster
- Specie:Crassostrea virginica
- Origin:Portsmouth, RI(USA)
- Farmed: 18 to 24 months
- Average Size:3.5 inches
- Available:September through March
- Tides:Narragansett Bay; the site off Prudence Island receives 7-foot tidal changes every 6 hours from Rhode Island Sound.
- Bottom:Silted medium-to-hard mud bottom.
Peter Brown has been shellfishing all his life. As a kid, he had fond memories of digging clams. In 2006, Peter decided to invest in an oyster lease in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
Peter is the only one on his farm, and he puts a lot of extra care in handling his oysters. "That's what makes them special along with the location of the farm, which receives constant tidal flow and nutrient-rich waters. I had a 70-year old lady tell me my oysters were the best she's ever had in her life, and that's saying something considering how many oysters she's eaten over her lifespan."